It’s officially comfort food season!
As the weather turns and the mornings get colder, I start craving warm comfort foods both for breakfast and dinner. One of my favorite breakfasts is baked oatmeal. My mom found this recipe years ago and it’s been a family favorite ever since. It’s one of the easiest recipes ever, and you can serve it with anything.
I could sit here and wax poetic about fall, and comfort foods, and how in love I am with my house. But I’d rather just give you this amazing recipe and leave you in peace to make it. I threw a batch together late last weekend and have been eating on it every day since.
Currently drinking: Teavana Peach Tranquility.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. salt
2 cups 2 different sugars/sweeteners (I used 1 c. coconut sugar and 1 c. brown sugar)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 2/3 cup water, mixed and let sit to thicken
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
2 cups old fashioned oats
3 cups quick oats
2 cups plant-based milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine all ingredients, adding milk last, and mix until incorporated. You can use a stand mixer or do it by hand.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Pour oatmeal into pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until center is firm.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, frozen berries, chopped nuts, a drizzle of maple syrup, and/or plant milk/cream.
- Refrigerates well up to a week.
Hello! I’m Whitney and this is my home for all things food and life.