I need a vacation.
I need tropical weather, beach yoga, evening hot tub sessions, a deep tissue massage, cocktails by the pool…. truly anything that allows me to sleep in and not stress about anything other than beverage choices.
Alas, ’tis not to be. All PTO is on hold for next year’s honeymoon.
In lieu of a vacation, I figured wholesome eating and a hot bubble bath would have to do. Of course, that required cleaning my bathtub… and my kitchen.
But I bought some yummy veggies at the grocery store this weekend.
Knowing I would soon have a fridge full of Thanksgiving leftovers, I didn’t actually make any solid plans for the veggies; I had no recipes in mind. When this happens, I usually cook per my cravings and stretch my improvisation muscles.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn’t.
Considering the events of today, I’m really glad this one turned out well. It was a solid win. And I’ll take it.
I went browsing on Pinterest to see if I could find any inspiration. Lentils sounded good, with decent seasoning. And I bought a whole bundle of kale, intent on forcing myself to use it in as many things as possible. I was thinking stuffed peppers, but wasn’t completed sold. In the end, I just pulled a variety of vegetables out and made it up as I went. The result is a stew-like dish, earthy but with healthy acidity from the tomatoes. I topped it with hemp hearts, because I sprinkle those magical little things on everything. And some cashews, because texture.
Next time I’ll make a Mai Thai and pretend I’m on a boat…
Currently drinking: Guinness Blonde
Veggie Lentil Skillet
Ingredients – For one
1-2 Tbsp oil – I used avocado.
1 slice of onion, diced
1 small clove of garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, diced
1/2 of a bell pepper, diced
2-3 mushrooms, sliced
3-4 tomatoes, sliced – I found a mixed blend at the store, half way between grape tomatoes and romas in size. You could use grape/cherry and just add a few more, or one roma.
1/2 cup of kale
1/2 cup of baby spinach
3/4 cup cooked lentils
Seasonings to taste – salt and pepper, oregano, thyme, and smoked paprika.
1 Tbsp hemp hearts
1 Tbsp cashews
- In a saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until onions start to become translucent.
- Add carrots and bell pepper. Saute until veggies start to become soft.
- Add seasonings to taste, excluding mustard.
- Add mushrooms and lentils. My pan got a bit dry, so I added a few tablespoons of water.
- Stir veggies and lentils until well coated in seasonings. Add tomatoes, kale, and spinach. Stir and cook until greens begin to wilt.
- Drizzle with some honey mustard, then stir to incorporate.
- Serve topped with hemp hearts, cashews, and an extra drizzle of honey mustard.
Hello! I’m Whitney and this is my home for all things food and life.